8.26.2014

Christie (Part One)

  There she is.

  She was wearing the yellow sun dress her mom bought her for her 21st birthday. I could remember her grinning when she opened the box, and the loooong hug she gave her mom, followed by “OMG, OMG, OMG, thank you, thank you!!” Ah, I remember that party. It wasn’t that long ago, anyway. I called up a few friends and family, ordered balloons and cake, and threw a surprise party. Of course, Christie was thrilled.

   I waited anxiously for this day.

   She was sitting on the patio chair of her favorite café, waiting for me. Two years ago, we met on that patio. I accidentally grabbed her umbrella instead of mine when I stood up to leave. I was wearing my headphones so I didn’t hear her say, “Um, excuse me, sir” which, according to her, she said a hundred times before she tapped my shoulder to get my attention. She was really pretty; I didn’t even understand what she was saying at first. When I realized what she wanted, she laughed shyly, I gave her her umbrella, and left. The next day I went back to the café, and I saw her again. We talked that day, and the day after that, and the day after that. Soon, we were already dating.

   I’m not sure how I will get through today.

   Christie was the first girl I’ve been in a serious relationship with. Sure, I dated a few back in highschool and college, but no one ever came close to the relationship I had with Christie. She was the girl I took to meet my parents. The girl who I’ve made long-time plans with. The girl who, for a long time, I was sure I would marry.


   For two years, Christie and I have had our ups and downs. It was tough. She was always very busy. She was very focused on her career, which was one of the things I loved about her. I would always make plans, like meet her for lunch or surprise her with takeouts for dinner or just wait at the lobby of her office building. I understood that her career is and will always be her priority; it made me love her even more.

  Despite her busy schedule, she was always there for me. She was always there for anyone who needed her. I don’t know, she’s this person who will listen to you and empathize with you. Just being with her takes away all the pain in the world. She’s also my bestfriend, the person who tolerates all my bullshit (sometimes she’d even forefront our crazy adventures, like the Great Ketchup Battle of 2013 and the time she got me to cross dress). With her, life is fun and worthwhile. I was nothing like I felt before.  “Lucky guy”, they’d tell me. And I was; Christie was one helluva girl.

  There she is.

  She was going over a magazine, sipping her favorite tea. You could tell she’s having honeyed tea even from twenty paces away. It’s her favorite, and whenever she has it, she smiles after sipping. And she has this positive aura that sends a wave of warmth and bliss every time she smiles.

  She looked really pretty today, hell, she’s always been really pretty to me. Even after two years, I still find myself gazing at her. Every time I do, she’d cover her face with her hands, peek through her fingers, laugh a little. Oh, the little things she does. God, I am hopelessly, irretrievably, in love with her.

  Which makes the next thing I’m about to do regrettably difficult.

  Today, I’m going to break up with Christie





*Watch out for Christie (Part Two), coming this September.


0 comments:

Post a Comment