3.14.2013

The Princess Tendencies


Girls, you know what I mean.

Firstly, it’s term I made up. But the idea is pretty much universal, especially to girls. Anyway, it’s what I call the times when I feel like being a princess. Familiar? Not at all complicated, but let’s clarify.

I'm sure most of you girls have, at least once ever, wished to be a princess. Ya know, royal family, really pretty outfits, maidens at your service, befriending all the fairies, and most of all, a Prince Charming who has traveled across many lands day and night to your castle far, far away to battle and defeat all those who made you weep for the past years, then ask your hand in marriage to live happily ever after. It doesn't matter when you had this wish when you were three or thirteen, but I'm sure you did. And yeah-huh, some of us still do.

You may be thinking, “Yeah I have. But I grew up, I know these princesses only exist in fairy tales and all that shit. I almost never dream of being a princess anymore.” Riiiiiiiiight. But, believe me, one day unexpectedly, you’d suddenly feel like you want to dress up in puffy bedazzled gown and a diamond tiara and start singing songs from Enchanted. Okay that’s too much, but I think you get what I mean. You suddenly feel like you want all the pretty outfits, handmaids, fairy friends and, yes, your Prince Charming.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with wanting those things, especially your Prince. Almost all girls were raised by fairy tales, and when we were little girls we internalized these fairy tales and became the person we want to be. At back of our minds, until now, sits that little girl.

About dressing up in a puffy gown and all that crap above, it’s a mixed feeling for me, personally. When I get the princess tendencies I feel child-like, like I'm a little girl again. I feel good when I sing princess songs (ya know, soundtracks from Mulan, Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella etc). However, I also feel kinda disappointed, because I know I’ll never be the princess the way I imagined it to be, how my childhood dictated what a princess is like. Nonetheless, the good feeling outweighs the bad one, because I can always think that even without the bedazzled gowns, handmaids, fairies and Prince Charming in real life, the princess in me still lives and will continue to make me see the fairy tale and real happily ever after in the life I'm living.

0 comments:

Post a Comment